PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft ownership - how can we dispel the rich toy myth?
Old 31st Jul 2011, 13:02
AN2 Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gertrude,

Oh dear. What about the large proportion of the population who don't have access to a car - are they dead then, or just invisible to you? Except of course when you're employing them to do menial jobs that you don't feel like doing yourself?
No they are not. I have been there and I have the T-shirt as the saying goes. Unemployed for quite a while. I found things to do, to get me over that time. And I got out of it. Not because some people took pity on me, but because I sat on my on behind and made it happen. That, at least in the Western world, is something people CAN do. I've seen too many examples to know that if you keep an open mind, if you are not too pretentious to do exactly those jobs if need be for a while, then you will get out of the gutter.

And something else. Nobody of us who would forego flying out of sympathy for the "poor" would do them a favour. Nor if we forego all "luxury". Every past time generates jobs. Aviation generates a lot of them. If we were to give up, we'd end up with another batch of unemployed folks out there, we'd help ruining some perfectly good businesses and thereby create more poverty than we would actually eradicate. Money which does not circulate might as well not be there.

Best regards
AN2 Driver.