PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2011, 11:57
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
therefore to maintain 1G the aircraft will slowly pitch up.
That's an urban legend. Releasing stick to neutral in pitch in normal and alternate laws results in pitch hold, not 1G hold.

I do think that if there were some real instruments requiring hardware such as a tube that was relaying ram air pressure from the outside DIRECTLY to the inside to an instrument which would translate that to a circular scale and call this an IAS dial, and somewhere close to it have a real gyro to give attitude information with a battery back up and another one with another tube DIRECTLY reading the pressure outside the aircraft to another circular dial and call this an altimeter
Most probably all 3 pitots were affected by icing. Everything between probes and instruments was in perfect working order until aeroplane was smashed against the ocean. Static pressure system was totally unaffected. There's no indication that any of four horizon references toppled during final minutes of flight.

When I say that the "average" line pilot cannot recover from a deep stall
Per definition of deep stall, no pilot can recover unless aeroplane is equipped with antispin parachute and it's used properly and timely.

Do you think the pilots wanted the THS to go full ANU or do you think the computer assumed one (not both) of the pilots wanted it?
Flight controls computers acted in accordance with sidestick inputs.

In darkness at altitude over an ocean, possibly in cloud, I suspect there was no visual reference to "look" weird.
There were instrumental references, three of them to be precise. Two EADIs and ISIS. It is mighty certain that two of them agreed and so far there's no reason to believe that third toppled.
Personally I believe that no pilot would maintain a pitch attitude of 16 deg at height intentionally it would look too weird.
Page 109 of BEA 3rd interim report refers. Pitch is "assiette" in French. would you believe pilot attempting to take off without clearance? Trusting only instrument that has failed and stalling the airliner on climbout? Failing to control speed and stalling on short final?

In fairness to the PF (whichever one it was)
Initially it was the youngest pilot, sitting in RH seat. Control was later transferred to older F/O in LH seat. Sidestick traces clearly show who made which input and when.

The BEA states that the 'zoom climb' started at least 11 seconds after that - and there is no mention of the PF moving the stick either way until he applies 'nose-down' to counteract the climb. Does this mean the PF did not cause the climb but it takes several seconds for the AB330 to respond to control movements?
BEA has thoughtfully included sidestick and control position plots in its report so anyone able to read them should not depend on BEA's wording only. A330 is big aeroplane with powered controls. Both of it spell: i-n-e-r-t-i-a.

So perhaps changing the audible warning to announce the AOA would be benificial.
I am sorry sir, but I fail to see how replacing FWC shouting "STALL-STALL-STALL" with one saying "Your AoA is ten... it's twelve now... whoops there goes fifteen... boy, you've hit 25 degrees AoA" would be benefical.