PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leaving everything for becoming an airline pilot.
Old 31st Jul 2011, 08:34
wangus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ricardo,
Please read one of my earlier responses to somebody else's question.

Hello there,
I hate to say it, but you ask if you are being a little naive? I think the answer is yes. That is NOT a criticism, rather my opinion. Let me expand. I went into the aviation world with a university degree in business studies, 3 years mangement experience in the UK's 2nd largest tour operator, and 2 years in the hospitality industry in management. I then worked for an airline handling agent, and learned all aspects on the industry from check-in, to operations, ramp/ground handling, and ultimately became a flight despatcher. During my time with the handling agent, I completed the Frozen ATPL, and made numerous contacts in the industry, mainly senior flight crew, whom I would call friends today. I was then made redundant last year. I have been qualified for over 3 years, and have never secured an interview. Age now, 37.
Outside of aviation, your action plan would probably show forethought, competence, and make sense.
Inside aviation, total hours / experience are problem #1. But read the posts of 3500 hours TT type rated crew on here looking for work. Even hours cannot guarantee anything. I think the luck factor, and money to BURN if you P2F are the only things helping a 250 hours newbie (like me as well). I will not P2F, but I have a lovely wife, no debt, and realise that maybe it's not meant to be.
To conclude, read every post by WWW. It can be a brutal journey with no job at the end. I hope you can appreciate I write this in good faith......