PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Clothing & Fire
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2011, 08:09
athonite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying Clothing & Fire

In the light of the recent air accident in Salford, where the pilots have survived the initial accident, but are now critical with 60-70% burns, I wondered whether clothing is ever a safety consideration.

I have always considered cotton, wool or leather clothing most appropriate when flying, along with leather cloves, which in the event of an accident reduces cuts to the hands and in the event of the fire, means you have the use of your hands to exit. More recently, I visited a commercial flying school where the student pilots were issued with nylon flying jackets!! I also can recall that on more than on occassion I have had to point out to students or flight exam candidates, that there clothing wasn't the most appropriate, this includes, sandals, shorts and skimpy dresses.

On the other hand should we just go the full way and revert to flying coveralls and gloves. I have a feeling that was done at Hamble, perhaps someone can clarify that. Coveralls also have the advantage of being organised in terms of pens, checklists, kneeboards. I appreciate that there is a resistance to this because it's percieved as pretentious. But then twenty years ago, cycle helmets were precieved as a bit odd, but nowadays most cyclists wear them.

It would be interesting to know other instructors/examiners thoughts.