PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Survey: Are you accepting their offer?
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2011, 02:53
404 Titan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ETOPS240
2 SO long haul is not happening. That again is rumour spouted by a handful of insecure wankers with vested interest.
I have heard that from at least three sources now on the third floor, including at a fleet forum. The company realise that three crew, i.e. 2 x FO and 1 x Capt having to spend 48 hours down route costs the company more than 2 x SO, 1 x FO and 1 x Capt only having to spend 24 hours down route. Remember 3 man ULH under the new CAD 371 must be crewed with 2 x FO’s and 1 x Capt. SO’s aren’t permitted. All the company is saving is the cheapest person on the flight deck but losing three days productivity for the three crew and having to pay for six hotel nights and allowances rather than four. Having said all that though, I originally thought that the companies desire to introduce a P1X rating was to get around the five year life of a P2X rating and this is still probably part of the reason. The main reason is that the company are seriously considering Cruise FO’s to replace SO’s, i.e. exactly the same as an SO i.e. cruise only, COS etc except they will be the second “FO” on three man ULH. The requirement for P1 rated FO’s is still greatly reduced though hence upgrade to full FO will blow out but the productivity aspect is greatly, (not totally) alleviated. My personal opinion after running the sums is that the numbers still don’t quite stack up for three man ULH, hence the companies application to the CAD to have a FTLS variation for a 24 hour layover instead of 48 hours for three crew ULH. The company must prove though to the CAD that the change is as safe regarding fatigue as a 48 hour rest, something I think they will struggle to prove as the evidence is overwhelming against it.
The upgrade time to JFO will be under 3 years for a new joiner. Mark my words.
I notice you are an SO here and I can understand your desire to see upgrade times reduce. The fact of the matter is that since the introduction of SO’s in the early 90’s with the exception of the first few batch’s of contracted SO’s, upgrade times as a whole have only got worse. Even during times of rapid expansion the times only briefly came down by about six months but that was it. With the companies planned crewing compliment the requirement for P1 rated FO’s irrespective of whether we have 3 or 4 crew ULH, will be greatly reduced even with the planned expansion over the next 10 years.

By the way I have no problem with iCads per say. All I want is to see them on the same COS as you and I.