PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Survey: Are you accepting their offer?
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2011, 00:31
ETOPS240

Originally Posted by chinabeached
What idiot of a financial advisor or applicant would not read the FINE PRINT of the HKPLA and housing allowance to see that both are taxable, hence the need to consider the net figure.
Who said they didn't?

Rather than policing a forum that you have absolutely nothing to do with, why don't you bugger off and try to help your fellow American pilots pick up the pieces with their laughable 'legacy' packages.

I have nothing to do with the cadet programme, but unlike you, and the other broken records who I'm ashamed to call my colleagues, I realise that it is here to stay. It is better than what's out there for the vast, vast majority of pilots.

For Christ's sake, as a year one SO you make more than many US Regional captains. It takes many years to become a regional captain. Let's not forget that although the payscale at CX isn't what it was, it knocks the US carriers out of the water.

In Europe, there is nothing. Nothing, shy of buying a type and paying to work. Or, working for the great FlyBe for 24k. You pretend to know about the RAF pilots situation? That they aren't taking it because of the conditions? Absolute rubbish. I personally know one of them, and he knows pretty much all of them. Many of them aren't pursuing it, because they aren't pursuing civil aviation. Those that are, are flocking to the CX package. Why? Because there is NOTHING out there that comes close. As a former Officer in HM armed forces, I can assure you that given the conditions we serve(d) under, Ts & Cs would not be an issue to these ladies and gents.

You sound like an ignorant idiot, who thinks that your US way is the only way. The well trodden GA path doesn't work everywhere else. It's not a case of GA being too hard; GA barely exists in Europe.

While you pretend to know what's going on, it's easy to see that you don't. Please just sod off and leave others to it.

I'm sorry, but while I realise that it is a big step down from the B scale (which in turn was a large step down from A scale), all it has done is brought it to parity with other major world carriers.

Now, I know this may all read as something personal, and to an extent, it is. But, you're spouting drivel, on every CX thread. You don't belong here. You have no interest here? That's fine. Nobody has an interest in you and your opinions. You don't have a clue what you're talking about. You're a bitter, poisonous clown with nothing better to do than to put people off a career, based on untruths and what your got from 'AOA and GMO updates'.

Please. **** off.

To anyone considering it. Do your homework, obviously. When you decide that you can make it work, don't come one here. Why? Because there is CB, who is so bitter, he can't see straight, and about 3 other CX pilots, of which some post under several usernames. All they do is conspire and complain.

There are nearly 3000 pilots in CX. Each one that I've worked with has been an absolute joy. The job is great. The upgrade time to JFO will be under 3 years for a new joiner. Mark my words. 2 SO long haul is not happening. That again is rumour spouted by a handful of insecure wankers with vested interest.

As for money - anyone who's lived in a big City will be able to judge it. Can you do it on this package? Easily. Will it be potentially tough initially? Possibly, if you want to live close in. Don't worry about the package. It is on par with other huge international carriers, pretty much all of which take a decade or more's worth of experience to join.

My advice is not to worry about the money. A calculator and a few minutes will answer your questions on that. Just like any other job. I advise wannabes to focus their research efforts on the cultural/non financial aspects of living in HK. You'll be fine for cash. But, you're moving to another country/continent, where lifestyle and culture will likely be vastly different to what you're used to. People are different. Food is different. Mentality is different. Weather is different. Protocol is different. Shopping is different. Everything is different. Unless you want to live in DB. Which you don't.

These are the things that you need to be considering. I personally love it. I'm extremely fond of HK. I've lived all over the world, but certainly consider HK home. That said, I did my research. I visited several times, and spoke to a huge number of people. I embrace the place for what it is, not what I think it should be. I've learnt the language, I eat what they eat. I think you get my picture. My point being that no amount of money will make you enjoy your life here, if you don't like HK. That is the dealbreaker folks.