PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2011, 17:19
STICK N RUDDER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the apogee, at less than 6 deg of pitch and an unknown (low ) airspeed (having 'traded' KE for PE), it is probable the aircraft was not 'stalled', but was flying too slowly for the actual IAS to support its weight, hence it would start to descend.

Agree 100%..if you demo in flight that s what happens

Now, a confused PF ?sees this? and selects TOGA and raises the nose to arrest the descent, thereby 'stalling' the wing. Aperhaps logical reaction [

Yes by natural instinct it s logical and it s logical if he thinks that pitch/elevator control altitude that s what happenes when one miss label flight controls..

Add the change in AoA due to the descent and we are now well into 'stalled'. A long period now of 'STALL STALL' audio which as we know can be 'lost' in 'difficult' cockpit situations. Continuing 'disbelief' that the a/c can be going down with this pitch and power and constant nose-up to try and stop it.

Power on stall by the book.You can stall at any pitch attitude and power setting. If you demo that s what you will observe

[/B] It is very rare for airline pilots to ever 'see' a full stall - in military (and civil) QFI days I used to hold the a/c in the stall to demonstrate such ('symptoms of the stall'). The BAC Lightning was particularly adept at producing a fairly stable stall with high r of d. I guess if you have never seen this demonstrated you would not recognise it?

Agree 100 % that s why I said poor training as far as stall/spin awareness

[/B]I have made my comments on the absence of the Captain for ITCZ passage much earlier and my views on the necessary changes in training philosophy on another forum here

AMEN brother....the question is does anyone want to listen to uspilots instructors who see the problem? Look at the training today it s production line from 0 to right seat in a year..Some one said ,,It takes one to two years to learn how to fly ..10 to 20 years to intelligently fly''..