PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2011, 14:39
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So many contradictions and disagreements on translation - we will have to wait for Wednesday to see how BEA do at it, and to see the FDR traces annotated in English.

So far, what I see of this tragic accident is:-

PF completely surprised by the loss of A/P and A/T and enters a steep climb - why? Unknown. I am not sure what he was 'seeing' on his panel.,

PNF and PF appear to disregard the pitch attitude and altitude change to above ?MAXREC? - why? Unknown, Ditto

At the apogee, at less than 6 deg of pitch and an unknown (low ) airspeed (having 'traded' KE for PE), it is probable the aircraft was not 'stalled', but was flying too slowly for the actual IAS to support its weight, hence it would start to descend.

Now, a confused PF ?sees this? and selects TOGA and raises the nose to arrest the descent, thereby 'stalling' the wing. A perhaps logical reaction since he had no idea of the IAS, and may have had some background 'trust' in the AB 'protecting' him. Add the change in AoA due to the descent and we are now well into 'stalled'. A long period now of 'STALL STALL' audio which as we know can be 'lost' in 'difficult' cockpit situations. Continuing 'disbelief' that the a/c can be going down with this pitch and power and constant nose-up to try and stop it.

From there on I suspect pandemonium was rife in the cockpit and no-one, including the Captain on arrival, was able to logically deduce that high pitch, high R of D and high thrust meant stall.

It is very rare for airline pilots to ever 'see' a full stall - in military (and civil) QFI days I used to hold the a/c in the stall to demonstrate such ('symptoms of the stall'). The BAC Lightning was particularly adept at producing a fairly stable stall with high r of d. I guess if you have never seen this demonstrated you would not recognise it?

I have made my comments on the absence of the Captain for ITCZ passage much earlier and my views on the necessary changes in training philosophy on another forum here.

I am still very puzzled by the CVR at

"2 h 10 min 39 to 2 h 10 min 46
PNF: Je te mets en en A T T
I'm putting you in in A T T"