PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CHF - Merlin Mk 4
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2011, 13:27
Pheasant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree that maritime aviation is best done by those with the correct skill sets, but that does not drive the requirement for them to be RN, they could be any cap badge, as has been proven on numerous occasions. Sufficient maritime training and experience - yes, has to be RN - no.
Odi and Unchecked,

There you go again assuming it is just about pilots and flying to the deck. It is not, it is a system of systems that starts with the stoker and chef and ends up (at sea) with the CO of the ship. All need to be air minded to make ops from the sea safe....it is not the pilot that decides the deck is within limits or authorises the take off it is usually the officer of the watch, CO of the ship or Wings - I am not aware that the RAF are qualified for any of these roles or have a desire to be so. Who sets the embarked standards and practices? Not the RAF because they have no-one with the depth of knowledge and experience to do so.

Although it may appear to be otherwise, I am not against the RAF...but it is their (senior level) arrogant assumption that "the RAF does it best, and if it flies it must belong to the RAF.." that makes me sick.