PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2011, 13:03
airtren

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the French Transcript is not reflecting properly the tone/intonation of the voice in that particular section, and perhaps in others as well.

"tu montes" is an acknowledgment of the situation, what the action of the PF drives the plane to do.

I am quite sure the "tu descend" should be "tu descend!!!" as an "imperative", a recommendation, an order.

It must be related to attitude. Practically, the PNF is saying "you're NOSE UP", so "GET THE NOSE DOWN"...

From what I could sense, the PNF is somewhat unpatient, with the way the PF controls the stick, while he is also trying to help, guiding him. It's clear he is not realizing the effects that this is going to have a minute or so later.

Originally Posted by DozyWannabe
...And tellingly, the Captain says :

One question for our Gallic cousins - do I interpret "Tu montes" and "Tu descends descends" as literally climb and descend, or could the PNF be referring to attitude (nose-up/nose-down) here?

[EDIT : Corrected Captain's statement - thanks for the catch! ]
With the realization that the French only version is creating certain limitations, the new report may help, in case one didn't come to that conclusion earlier.

The "a/c to pilot information interface" - my words - is part of the "a/c category" of elements that BEA document points to among contributing factors, and recommends to be addressed.

Originally Posted by DozyWannabe
... Aside from the pitots, nothing was wrong with that aircraft. ....

Last edited by airtren; 30th Jul 2011 at 14:24.