PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA - lifestyle and work/life balance
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2011, 09:40
veetwo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gillespie

I pretty much agree with Tall Boy. I've recently joined from easy LGW (I believe its worth making the distinction since if you are regionally based easy could well be a sustainable lifestyle option - however for how long will those bases exist?!).

I always knew I'd take a lifestyle hit to start with - no weekends off, trips away etc and so it has come to pass. This was clear enough from just reading these forums and talking to people already on 'the other side'. The move to BA is a long term play, you have to put in the effort at the bottom of the seniority list so that one day (hopefully not too long from now given the rate of planned recruitment) you can reap the benefits of a seniority based system.

While I can appreciate how being away from a young family must be inconvenient at best - particularly for your other half- I think (and hope) you will come to realise in a few years time that you did make the right decision. Most of the FO's I know who were already at BA before I joined have reached this point and are very happy with life.

If I had a pound for every easy captain I'd spoken to in my last 3 months who regretted taking the early command.

Keep the faith and get bidding!

V2