PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anaphalaxis
Thread: Anaphalaxis
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2011, 09:31
homonculus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The regulator will NOT let you fly if there is any risk of an anaphylactic attack. Period. The problem is that an allergy is an abnormal response of the immune system and however weak the response last time, any future exposure could be very severe or fatal.

As has been said there have been other threads on this site from which it appears you havent a hope if you are deemed a risk. Carrying adrenaline (an accupen) suggests to the regulator that the medical profession considers you to be a risk.

Coming at this as an anaesthetist (who deals with these issues every day) as opposed to an AME, about half the population tell me they have an allergy to something or another. Even when I exclude the 'non allergies' (temperature after penicillin etc) it still leaves a lot of people, some of whom fly professionally with no problem. Many pilots discover they are allergic to penicillin or another drug or a food during their career, stop the drug or avoid the food, and continue to fly.

I cannot suggest you tell lies, but I would suggest you ask your GP why you need to carry adrenaline - most beekeepers have massive responses to beestings but we just have to give up. We dont carry adrenaline. Equally an allergy to one food that is identifiable is no different medically than a patient with a religious belief. Personally I wouldnt dream of advising you to carry an accupen based on what you have posted but of course I dont have your full history!! - you may live on a bee farm!!!

In other words I assume if you tell the CAA you carry adrenaline and have multiple allergies you wont get past the door, but if you simply dont eat Kiwi fruit and have had one nasty response to a bee sting it may be a different matter, although probably crop spraying in bee country would not be a long term career progression

Good luck