PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JetStar NZ
Thread: JetStar NZ
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2011, 06:23
aviationboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ Luke

Yep sorry I was talking about OZ GA there, different kettle of fish. Phoenix will be much better off persuing a career in OZ as opposed to NZ. A few years in GA followed by progression onto turbo props will probably result in a more rewarding career than Jetstar, unless he is looking for a quick jump overseas by grabbing a TR and some jet time.

@ Phoenix,

The problem with Jetstar is, while the money may be slightly better than GA the progression will be limited within the company. Other OZ/NZ airlines will be unlikely to hire you so all roads lead overseas and I am not sure how that appeals to you having a wife and 2 kids. Even if you stick around and end up on 130k as a captain, is it worth it? I would never command an a320 for that money, it is simply all risk no reward IMO. I understand you are still in your training phase, so you haven't experienced the airline lifestyle just yet. 130k might sound good to an outside obersever, who doesn't see the level of responsibility present, or the scrutiny you face, the number of sim checks you have to pass each year, line checks, big days at jetstar, plus all the other crap that comes with aviation. No sir, 130k won't cut it. My brother in law makes 120k working at a desk all day. No bad weather, no sims to pass, no in flight emergenices to worry about.

In the end you have to decide, but currently Jet*'s compensation is woefully inadequate and I can't see it getting any better in the near future. Just remember as many have said here, if there is a steady stream of newbie pilots willing to work for 65k then the best days of this industry are well and truly behind us.