PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2011, 23:46
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by before landing check list
Tell me there are no captains and crew who do not fit this picture. I dare you.
Apologies, I presumed by "here" you meant "on this forum". I have to say I've never encountered anyone who was, or claimed to be, a pilot on here who was completely happy with letting the automation take all the strain and letting their basic piloting skills atrophy.

That was quick, I think I hit an exposed nerve there eh?
Not at all sir. I suggest you read what I'm actually saying (and have said consistently on here for 5 years) before tarring me with that brush. I have always said it is *imperative* that basic stick-and-rudder skills be maintained and that pilots should have a knowledge base relating to the type or types they are operating that is as complete as humanly possible. I think it's dispiriting and borderline scandalous that the airline industry sometimes treats its crews with so little respect and that it is as engaged in the "race to the bottom" as any other industry you care to name - see a rant I made on this very topic here:

http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/43780...ml#post6183737

Ultimately the aeronautical, mechanical and software engineers who design and build the aircraft you fly in and the systems that make them tick have at least as much professional pride in their work as you do. The concept of computers replacing pilots in our lifetime has only ever come from press hyperbole, and I think you'd be hard-pressed to find the engineers who would want to take on that responsibility. In short, we're on the same freakin' side.

Originally Posted by Zorin_75
It reads like PF didn't ... recognize the stall
Neither did the Birgenair PF, who was not only a senior captain, but an ex-military jock to boot. This is all about how the human brain reacts under pressure and stress, and the truth is that none of us can know how we'll react in a situation that perilous until we're confronted with it. The hope is that training for this kind of upset will be reinforced and expedited, along with proper CRM procedures to follow.