PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada on Fire after Sydney Departure
Old 29th Jul 2011, 22:55
Anthill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I seem to recall that an Ozjet CM (from Perth) put the paperwork in the oven just as the passengers arrived to board

Anyway, an interesting exercise an it happens frequently. Just as a scenario to consider: What do you do if the Purser/FM/Cm calls after take-off and says : "Captain, I have smoke in the galley"?

Do you do an immediate return to land? Sit on you hands? What? This can be a subtle an complex issue.

Consider (stories from real life): After TO at about FL200, an interphone call to the FD with CM saying "Captain, I can smell smoke in the FWD galley".
  • Capt asks "Can you see the smoke, is it visible: Answer "Not really, a little bit hazy maybe"
  • Capt: Can you locate source? Answer: "Yes, the ovens, I think".
  • Capt: Getting worse or better?: Answer "Sort of the same, I don't know, maybe less".
CM then tells Captain that she thinks that they should turn back. Captain says they will continue and asks for more information. Can anyone else smell the smoke?--"Yes, other crew".

Is it visible yet? Is the smoke acrid? Can the PAX smell it? Is the smoke irritating to eyes/nose/throat? Answer to all of these is "No". CM again suggests on a return to land. FO agrees that crew need more information.

Tricky one. What should they do???

TBC..