PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2011, 21:05
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lonewolf_50;
IIRC from our discussions a few threads ago, AoA can be called up already on one of the pages (maintenance?).
The AoA parameter, along with thousands of other parameters, may be brought up on the 3rd ACARS unit on the pedestal, using the ACMS > Alpha LBL settings. I used to watch the AoA, FPA, VRTG, LATG, CAS, TAS all the time. It takes about 3 minutes to go through the menu call-up process so it wouldn't have been available here.

Further, regarding the safety recommendations, I doubt if the recommendation to include the AoA in the available displays for crews is a realistic, or even helpful idea. Airline pilots don't fly "AoA" and it would be a significant transition from pitch, power and speed to train crews to fly primarily AoA. I don't think it would have helped or saved this situation because AoA wasn't being taught/trained. Besides, this is the only accident we know of which could have made use of an AoA display to save the aircraft. The Turkish B737 could not have been saved as there wasn't sufficent altitude by the time the aircraft stalled, and they weren't paying attention to the airspeed, so an AoA indication may not have helped.

airtren, thanks for your very kind response.