PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2011, 19:56
Lonewolf_50

Received 404 Likes on 250 Posts
4Greens, what if the pilot flying isn't "old style" military pilots, but guys who have flown mostly FBW and HUD, in planes that don't quite spin? (I suspect your point has merit, nonetheless). (gums has given us some great insights into an early gen FBW system, the F-18 is another that could compare, though I've heard it's tough to make it depart. No personal experience.) F-35? F-22? Typhoon?

What monkey skills are being imbedded in flying those birds?

The "old style" military pilots are running into some training changes. The elementary level Out of Control Flight and three dimensional upset trainers are gone. (I now speak only to US, not idea on the other side of the pond).

The Tweet (T-37) which the USAF could spin and inverted spin, is gone. T-6 has replaced it, though it still spins. Turbo prop.

The T-2 is gone, USn jet pilots used to spin, depart, cross control, and inverted spin train.

In its place is the T-45, which does not have quite the range of maneuvers one can train in that regard.

In time, the military experienced jet pilots will have had spin training, on our side of the pond, only in the T-6, which spins well enough. It isn't flown up where Eagles dare: spins tend to be somewhere in the 8-15,000 feet box. (Depends on the Op Area, they may have raised the floor in the past few years, not sure) .

What does the future hold?