PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash near Bude, Cornwall: 24th July 2011
Old 29th Jul 2011, 19:17
Helinut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This sort of accident is certainly not the preserve of low hours pilots. As you gain a bit of experience, you distinguish (in your head) yourself from those who have less experience. Inexperienced pilots are less well prepared but it is of course a mistake to think that these things do not happen to those with more time.

Over the years, I can recall several accidents involving CPLs/ATPLs who I had worked with and even checked-out and considered to be "good pilots". They seem to have made what would at first glance be inexplicably poor decisions. The AAIB are very good at what they do, but can only go so far at digging into the motivations of the pilots. But these motivations are, or can be very important. A number of the accidents I am thinking of the pilot had a particular reason to want to complete the flight. In some cases it was because the pax was a "very important" client and the pilot may have felt he needed to ensure the flight was completed as planned. In other cases, there was a rather personal reason for the pilot getting to his destination.

It seems to me that almost any pilot will make really poor decisions, given the right pressures. Not so much a bad pilot as a pilot making poor decisions on a particular occasion. We all need to guard against those pressures, whoever we are.

I have had the (generally) pleasure of doing a fair bit of safety pilot flying over the years. Often this is for the PPL non-IR owners of IFR twin helicopters: they or the operator to whom the aircraft are leased have the good sense to spend a bit of money on a second pair of hands and a bit of a brain. On a number of occasions, I have seen these pilots continuing on in deteriorating conditions. I can see things getting worse, but it would appear that the handling pilot cannot, or does nothing if he does see it. By talking to him/her you can then get him to start to see the clues and to take control of the helicopter. I think it needs more than to tell students/new pilots not to fly in poor conditions: I think that you need to show them what it looks like and what to do about it. I am not sure that the simple simulators do this very well - the real thing is different.

FIs and FEs cannot be blamed for doing what the syllabus includes and no more. It is possible to get a little continuation training done with some private pilots, but you will never get the opportunity to work with the pilots who need it most, when the aviation authorities do not even recommend it.

LH2 had a go at me for suggesting that EASA made any changes to solve this problem more difficult. I was just pointing out that we are an extremely low priority on their hit list. Much of their regulation for helicopters is simply a cut and paste job from the fixed wing world. Even though these IIMC accidents are a major risk for the light helicopter world, it won't figure on their radar. Since, in Europe, they make the rules I think my point was valid.