PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - Wannabes & Recruitment IV
Old 29th Jul 2011, 14:12
golden_oldie_surfer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
preparing for an assessement

I have been following the some of the threads regarding potential applicants and would offer, only offer, the following advice.

At the assessment, be yourself and be honest.

Before BA, I worked for over 20 years at a senior manager level in the sport and leisure industry with responsibility for over 100 staff and a budget of over £1million.

I can honestly say that when ever we had an applicant at an interview who ‘figured out what we were going to ask’, and was clever enough to just tell us ‘what we wanted to hear’ just to get the job, it always ended badly either for them leaving soon after or for us being landed (pardon the pun) with a totally unsuitable employee.

Yes, do your research and most importantly study the role profile and required competencies.

Then think of real life (not made up) examples of how you have delivered against those competencies.

It seems logical that all the likely questions at the assessment will be linked to those competencies.

Otherwise how will you or BA really know if you can actually do the job or if you will even like it?

Anyone can look at job through the eyes of the customer or through ‘rose tinted spectacles’ but remember things aren’t always what they seem. Doing a job is often so different than observing it.

I had lost count of the number of times a person employed in a Leisure Centre, once they's got the job, had complained about having to work bank holidays, Friday nights or weekends.

Don’t misunderstand me. I’m not trying to put anyone off. Just being realistic.

Good luck to all applicants!