PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft ownership - how can we dispel the rich toy myth?
Old 29th Jul 2011, 12:09
Captain Smithy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reading through your last post AN2 Driver I find myself constantly nodding in agreement with all of your points.

An interesting point is that many smaller aircraft types, e.g. microlights have similar buying & running costs to new family cars... so you don't really have to be "rich" as such to fly.

I found when I was learning to fly that many people commented along similar lines to the stereotypes being expressed here. "Bloody hell you must be loaded mate!" for example. No Smithy never was and is not "loaded" by any means. Yes I admit I am comfortable at the moment and appreciate what I have got, but I work for it and that' my business, no-one elses.

Inevitably the topic of conversation changes to "How much does that cost you then?". Non-aviation folks baulk at the hourly cost of rental. Fair enough I think we all do. But then I ask them what they spend per month on their shiny new Mondeo/Insignia/Megane/whatever other ugly modern twatmobile they've just bought, or how much they spend/waste going out on the sauce every Saturday night, or how much they spend on designer clothes etc. Suddenly sense is seen and they realise that in the grand scheme of things it isn't actually that unaffordable compared with everything else, and that Smithy isn't some elite yuppie with an elite hobby.

I am and forever shall be eternally grateful for the few hours per month I manage to afford in 1980s Pipers for my own enjoyment. While I welcome with open arms anyone who would like to join me in taking part in said hobby it isn't anyone else's business to judge what I get up to in my spare time with my earnings and if someone doesn't like it because of whatever bigoted reasons then that says more about them and their state of mind than anything else...

Smithy