PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First solo: what if things go wrong...?
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2002, 16:07
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right, so the concensus appears to be:

1) Most people have done at least some rudimentary preparation for emergencies before their first solo.

2) Everyone thinks they would handle things better now, with more experience.

Of course there has to be a balance. But is there any DISADVANTAGE to a little extra training before going solo.

One thing everyone seems to have left out of the equation is the effects of the unexpected, of information overload, and of time. In an emergency, you're likely to be faced with all three.

You are an inexperienced pilot, expecting to fly one circuit of a familiar airfield. The unexpected - something goes wrong, with the aircraft or the runway. Information overload - YOU have to decide what to do, possibly with help from an instructor on the radio, but that amount of radio chat probably presents overload at that point. Time - whatever happens (apart from an instant emergency landing) your first solo is now likely to be very long, and may terminate with a landing at a very different field, in layout, length, and amount of radio use required, from what you're used to.

I'd say with that possibility, however unlikely, a few extra hours training couldn't be a bad idea.

In fact, now I think about it, don't most accidents involving far more experienced pilots include those three factors? Why else is CFIT so common? Perhaps the syllabus needs to include a lot more on human factors, beyond the daft questions on the ground exams - or have they improved since I took it? No criticism intended, but I do find myself wondering if some of the people posting here have ever been in even a minor "emergency", like an unexpected diversion due to weather, while still having relatively few hours. It's very easy to know what to do on the ground. And of course, we could all do it in the air. Couldn't we....?