PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet to buy 120 A319s, with options for another 120 a/c
Old 14th Oct 2002, 15:55
fmgc
Plumbum Pendular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good god, will you guys please grow up, are you really pilots?

This is good news for all pilots of airbus operators, there are a lot of experienced fo's out there, who may well consider moving to Easy for a command.

As for reliability, the A320 and A321 have very good despatch reliability, the difference between that and that 737 is negligable. I don't know what the A319 reliability is like, anybody from BA like to comment?

There will definitely be a disadvantage to having no airstairs, but if easy keep on top of their handling agents it shouldn't prove to be too much of a problem.

As for the share price, I think that you will find that it is usual for the value of a company to go down when it makes a large purchase. It has nothing to do with lack of approval from the market.

The things that I would be most worried about are:

1. They are going to need a lot of staff for this enormous expansion. They are struggling now to find crews, ground agents, baggage handlers, check in staff etc. as it is. Where the hell are they going to come from?

Imagine the scenario, in order to attract all these staff, eJ have to increase pay and conditions (especially for Pilots, Cabin Crew, Engineers and Ops) therefore costs go up, therefore ticket prices go up, therefore eJ become less competitive and BA and BMi start to do better again. Could eJ become a victim of it's own success?

2. Is there REALLY a market for all these additional flights? When does easy reach its saturation point? Always be wary of a company that expands quickly.

We certainly live in interesting times.

Last edited by fmgc; 14th Oct 2002 at 16:09.