PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEMS - Regulations and saving life
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2002, 15:33
Devil 49
"Just a pilot"

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
If you can't do it without creating more casualties, dont.
If you wouldn't do it in spite of the knowledge you'd lose your ticket and job, don't.

In my orientation, my employer explained the company's wishes-
All flights are to be considered as air taxi, illustrated as the "box of rocks' analogy-as in would I do the same for a "box of rocks".
Second, we are generally not engaged in rescue missions. We're not equipped or trained. If I can help, do it safely and within the regs, I'm allowed to use my best professional judgement. I've been around long enough to have a very clear idea of my capabilities, on both sides of the rules. These conditions seem fine and sensible, and I can sleep at night with the rules.

But employer rules and FARs don't define what's safe and in good conscience. I can imagine scenarios where I'd declare an emergency and risk losing my job and ticket. For instance-patient loaded, circumnavigating Class B, when patient status suddenly and precipitously declines. The med crew urgently requests nearest-and I can't get clearance into the B for the most expeditious route to the nearest facility? LIfe and death emergency, in qualified opinion? I'd declare and go, without creating any more casualties, explain and hope that my judgement is supported.