PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2011, 02:26
airtren

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello PJ2,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

The more I think about the "do nothing", the more I conclude that you were right when you wrote that Machinbrid was right that it is not the exact answer.

Originally Posted by PJ2

Machinbird
made a good point a while back in pointing out to me that "doing nothing" isn't the exact response and of course he was right.
Originally Posted by PJ2
airtren;
Yes, the phrase "do nothing" doesn't really describe what one really does and should do when a UAS event occurs. One does something, but the goal is level, stable flight
Knowing many of your posts, I know what you mean. But that is not the point.

Readers may come to this forum after a search hit, for a quick answer, and after a quick read, they don't come back to better understand, what is behind a certain statement.

I know well you didn't mean that, but the danger of the "do nothing" is that it gives the wrong message, that a pilot really does not have to do much, or know much, even when he gets the controls, as the A/C does everything by itself.

The "do nothing" resonates with a certain philosophy I disagree with, which is that modern airplanes don't require highly qualified and knowledgeable pilots. This is one of the reasons why a pilot when put in front of the controls, can loose it.

To me it's clear, that pilots of modern planes, need to be as good as the old days, old school pilots, PLUS also be technically so good as to understand well the various aspects of the new technologies used by the plane, so that any time can take best decisions.

A pilot in the cockpit needs to be like a Master/Champion chess player - understand well the situation on the chess board, and anticipate, see ahead, as many moves and combinations as possible.

A pilot, while the AP and A/THR are ON, and flight is in Normal Law, should follow closely the flight, particularly when the weather is problematic. He has to understand and anticipate all the possible scenarios that may develop, at any given point of time, based on a good knowledge of the A/C. and specifically the weaker points of the A/C. He needs be ahead of the game, ahead of all the other players, outside and inside the A/C, so that his reaction to anything that happens outside, or inside, is quick, to the point, very effective, and with immediate positive results.

When given the controls, he should be already aware of all of the conditions of the flight, before the control transition, and a quick assessment immediately after the transition, is only to confirm that all checks out. His subsequent actions should not be a guess, but rather a well known series of moves with a known ahead result, and driving to a known result.

Just an opinion,
airtren

Last edited by airtren; 29th Jul 2011 at 03:32.