PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice for Uni
Thread: Advice for Uni
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2011, 01:00
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are already doing a CPL course, then a linked degree is probably of limited benefit. I'd be suggesting a degree that gives you a second career option. And in selecting that degree, I'd be suggesting that you move toward the subjects that you like best.

The uni open days can be quite good, but you need to get to either some of the lecturers or current students. My experience has been that taking my daughters to open days has changed their minds about both their preferred courses and preferred universities. As a minimum I'd be doing the open days for Melbourne, Monash, RMIT and Swinburne. And if your interested in Science, you should have some sort of a look at Mechanical Engineering.

As I understand it (and my understanding is limited) the airlines will view any technical degree as a good thing whether or not its aviation linked. The degree only proves your intellect, perseverance and the aptitude to understand complex aircraft systems.

With the current pay trends, don't discount a science / engineering career with flying as a part time career / hobby.

Being a pilot is one of the few professions that doesn't involve or develop skills that are transferable to other careers. While the rest of us can expect multiple careers, unless illness or strikes intervene, pilots can expect only one. Its not bad to have a plan B in the event of unforeseen circumstances.

I'd also encourage you to speak with many people. More people will be prepared to give you genuine advice than you might imagine. And the careers people at your school might be better than you give them credit.