PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-Life Tune-Up
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2011, 00:59
grumpytroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timely topic

Last week I ran into a friend and fellow pilot. He is a retired W4 and now flies EMS. The subject of glasses came up and he surprisingly informed me that he had recently had laser surgery. He is far-sighted (due to presbyopia) as am I. He told me that the surgery for this condition is very new and that he knew of only 5 docs in the U.S. who are qualified to perform the surgery. One is in Chicago where we met up. I visited my eye doc last year and asked about the possibility of this surgery and at that time he informed that no such laser surgery existed for presbyopia patients. I am very curious about it and would consider it as I am tired of wearing glasses, especially while flying with NVG's. It would be great for driving as well. I have a good friend who wore glasses for near sightedness since he was very young. About 20 years ago he had laser surgery and has raved about it ever since. I've been hearing about and reading about the fears of the surgery, especially with regard to pilots ever since. I hope that the procedure has been perfected to a great degree from the early days and is now safe in most instances. Of course the right doc and clinic would be a must. For many years when I flew for NWA, we flew folks to Winnepeg for laser surgery because there was a clinic there that offered the procedure for a great price. I am note sure if that is still the case. At any rate, good luck with your decision.
LaserSurgeryForEyes.com
Cheers

Last edited by grumpytroll; 29th Jul 2011 at 01:10.