PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Koreanair A380 tail strike NRT
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2011, 22:28
Creedy Cat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flown the A380 for about 2 years; never met conditions like those described on July 21 at NRT. However had some fairly stiff crosswinds at LHR last summer; not much problem as you just pressure the downwind rudder to align the nose to runway centreline with hardly any need to input any aileron into the wind. This is the recommended technique; at least it's what I was taught in Toulouse. In really strong crosswinds close to the limit, Airbus allows landing with a slight crab with residual drift not more than 5 degrees.

The crew at NRT must have " kick "ed the downwind rudder and by force of habit, apply excessive upwind aileron input. At light weights and low speeds, such actions can induce undesirable oscillations. Can't blame them totally as they are pretty new on type and could have flown aircraft where simulator decrabbing during flare in strong crosswinds involved hefty upwind inputs. Sometimes certain simulator techniques can prove to be real disasters in real life flying!

Sorry, only handled the aircraft sporadically so I am by no means an A380 adept, only my 2 cents!