PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision)
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2011, 19:25
roma_ua

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Currently, I have Class 3 Medical Certificate and I want to start my PPL-ATPL training.
So I need to get Medical Class 1 before I start my education.
The only problem is my eyesight. I`m short eye sighted a bit.

Accordingly, to JAR Cleass 1 Initial Examination Visual Standards:

Eye standards for a first-class airman medical certificate are:
(a) Distant visual acuity of 20/20 or better in each eye separately, with or without corrective lenses. If
corrective lenses (spectacles or contact lenses) are necessary for 20/20 vision, the person may be eligible only
on the condition that corrective lenses are worn while exercising the privileges of an airman certificate.
(b) Near vision of 20/40 or better, Snellen equivalent, at 16 inches in each eye separately, with or without
corrective lenses. If age 50 or older, near vision of 20/40 or better, Snellen equivalent, at both 16 inches and
32 inches in each eye separately, with or without corrective lenses.

As far as I understand if I wear glasses or lenses I can pass initial medical eye sight tests?
Do I understand text correctly? In every day life I don`t wear glasses, but I`m not sure I could see smallest letters in the chart. (I think I can see middle section of the chart and above). So the main question is:
- If I have glasses (not very strong), can I pass initial Class 1 vision test or on initial test I should have 100% vision?
(Sent emails to a few AMEs and still waiting for the answer)