PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft ownership - how can we dispel the rich toy myth?
Old 28th Jul 2011, 16:13
gasax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gasax - please don't ever talk to me like that again. You don't know where I've come from, what I've sacrificed and how f**king hard I've worked in my life to be able to be where I am. You think I'm going to Budapest because I want to? You think I have a choice? Let me know when you post here under your own name like I do and until then, don't you dare judge me or how I put food on my table
Well Adam if you're going to convince people of how reasonable your viewpoint is - you have set yourself up to fail. Throwing your rattle out of the pram tends to destroy your argument.

So you have worked hard - so what? Millions of people have. The fact is that you - and I, enjoy a good, possibly very good standard of living. Yes that brings some obligations - like having to travel for business and be in certain places (in my case some quite unpleasant places) some of the time. But do not imagine for one second that you can convince my butcher that you are not 'rich' or 'well off' or whatever phase you want to describe it with. Setting scenarios where a return home is little more than a convenience or whim is not going to convince many people of the necessity.

How do you justify it or argue it as an aircraft owner when that inevitable discussion comes up?
You have to admit that you need a reasonable level of 'disposable income'. There is simply no other way. Do you have to justify it? I don't think so and so I do not fall into that trap.

And yes there has been an equivalent in the UK to the EAA Young Eagles, I racked up over 50 odd flights whilst it was running - regrettably potential liability issues seem to have largely killed it off.