PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Project Sirius - Divisive or what?
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2011, 06:37
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
I haven't had such a good laugh on a Service matter for a very long time! The responses have been superb.

I think we all accept that a 2 or 3 stream system has been operating for many years - indeed, in the past more formal that perhaps this Serious (oops! Sirius) plan. We all know officers who wouldn't cut the mustard in senior staff tours and vice versa. I'm sure most of us also remember bright young things who, as junior officers, were clearly destined for a bright future and rapidly outstripped their contemporaries. However, what I suspect officers will object to (and it is a human behaviour thing) is to be labelled as 'special'.
Desk Officer: 'Sqn Ldr Bloggs. I regret that you were unsuccessful in your last look at AST because of your age of 43 [can I say that?] so that means you are Main Stream now. Don't worry, we've got a really good job supervising the digitising of historic engineering records at Llangolligoch. You'll be happy there - at least 5 years - that means your [spouse/civil partner] can settle down and get a low-paid job as a care worker.'

'But wasn't I being boarded to be Assisitant Air Attache in DC?'
'Ahh yes, we thought about that, but I am afraid that's a thruster's job thus you are no longer suitable for it'.
'Any other news?'
'Well, funny you say that, we are looking for a chap with your experience to help the Afghan Air Force digitize their Soviet-era records. Kabul's not a bad place, you know, and this tour would look good on your profile.'
Why the need to label otherwise enthusiastic, loyal and probably still-ambitious officers? It's like being given news about a slow, linger but ultimately terminal disease (and I should know). 'You might make it to Wing Commander, but chances are pretty slim these days'.