PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2011, 01:07
bearfoil

Neptunus Rex

"5 degrees NOSE UP PITCH was the correct response". (To UAS).

Both Zorin and I disagree. Zorin claims it was "LEVEL OFF and troubleshoot". My claim is that with NOSE UP per PF, he could have been trying to do either five degrees NU OR LEVEL OFF, as the siituation demanded.

In Turbulent air (an accepted factor), AutoPilot could have trimmed NOSE DOWN to keep the a/c on altitude (UPDRAFT). We don't know yet the PITCH @ a/p drop. With UPDRAFT, the AoA is increased independent of SA, and depending on energy therein, the NOSE UP would have an additional bias NOSE UP, perhaps adding to the unexpectedly ambitious PITCH UP when the a/c responded?

"Once in the STALL, corrective NOSE DOWN PITCH must be applied."

PF had been applying NOSE DOWN PITCH. At 6 degrees NOSE UP, he heard the STALLSTALL, selected TOGA, and apparently, with back pressure, attempted an escape from the STALLWARNING, as he had been trained.

At this POINT, the STALL WARNING is important, in the sense that had it continued, it is likely the PF may not have sensed the NOSE FALLING, felt or heard buffet, or had other STALLED cues. We don't know except the BEA said the PITCH kept increasing. From here, BEA have no applicable statements except to say the PITCH did not decrease below 16 degrees.

There is no 'STALLED' prompt inSTALLED.

As before, I am offering possibilities to keep my mind open; if others have witheld judgment, so much the better.

regds

bear