PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft ownership - how can we dispel the rich toy myth?
Old 27th Jul 2011, 21:59
Contacttower
Fly Conventional Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, my math was off as pointed out by MicahelJP. Unless you put a price on your time, it doesn't make sense unless you're in maybe an old Jodel or Luton or something.
Not really surprised...I mean I think the best justification for light aircraft is that they are fun and if one is prepared to spend the money can be very useful for trips that don't conform to public transport/scheduled airlines or just having the freedom to come and go (within reason) at whatever time one wants. I've yet to find an occasion were the trip itself was actually cheaper versus the airline alternative.

The problem, guys, is that our politicians think pretty much like gasax. Quite a few because they don't know any better but a lot of them who actually do but feel that smashing GA is good for the votes. So they lie about it, like they lie about everything else to get a few extra votes.
I don't think GA is really a hot political issue in the UK though...yes people get annoyed about noise when living near airports and now and again the government tries to build an eco-town on an airfield or some developer comes along but in general I don't think UK GA has too much to fear from politics, and when it does there are better arguments to be made for it than trying to explain to people who don't know about aviation why owning a light aircraft is not "posh". Most of the time it is not an envy thing as such more just a straightforward lack of understanding...for example most of the people who complain about noise in rural areas near airfields are certainly not poor by any stretch of the imagination.