PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Project Sirius - Divisive or what?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2011, 21:39
fin1012

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this just formalises a system that has been in place for a long time anyway. During my recent trawl for an interesting next posting I found a range of jobs that I was both keen to do and eminently qualified for. Each one had either already been reserved for a new ACSC Grad (as opposed to an old one like me and regardless of the actual experience or quals required), or was 'too punchy' for my profile. Sirius simply acknowledges how things really work and is, I think, more honest. I was, though, very disappointed that it seemed the only criteria as to whether I was suitable for a job was if my posting date coincided with the new post's availability date. My previous experience and/or aspirations never came into the equation and were not mentioned. If that is how the Main Stream is going to be managed, then I don't have a good feeling that it is going to work.

I decided there was no point being bitter - we are in a tough profession with tough rules. I consciously decided not to jump through some of the hoops placed in my way and I have to accept the consequences. As a result I can still face myself in the mirror and look colleagues in the eye with some element of self pride. I have had a great time overall and when I leave I will look back on my time in the RAF with nothing but pleasure

I think a more interesting question is - is the system fit for purpose in terms of producing the kind of leaders we need in the modern world? For a few years now, the more I have seen of very senior officers, the less I have liked them. They seem to be overwhelmingly driven by self interest rather than that of the Service or even the country. It's quite a while since I came away from a close encounter thinking 'wow! I'd like to work for them'. All the good guys are either applying for redundancy, taking options, or PVRing. If things go on this way, there will only be 'chisellers' left. And they don't care about the rest of us, and the backstabbing as they fight each other for a chance at the top is going to be awesome.

Fly safe.