PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft ownership - how can we dispel the rich toy myth?
Old 27th Jul 2011, 21:31
AdamFrisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edit to add: So are you going to fly yourself in the end to Budapest?
No, cause I can't afford it

No, my math was off as pointed out by MicahelJP. Unless you put a price on your time, it doesn't make sense unless you're in maybe an old Jodel or Luton or something.

Everyone seems to come back to the same thing in this thread except for AN2 and a few others. That basically, shut up, enjoy your plane, don't think your special and don't spread the gospel. Rich, posh - call it what you want, it's like the systemic European disease; envy clouds the matter at hand and to be truly accepted in Britain, you have to compete with others not on who's worked the hardest, but who's worked the least and got away with it. It's the upside down world here sometimes, inverse snobbism. "I'm from the street, I'm from the gutter, yeah". After all, this is the only country in the world where East End hard men biographies are constantly printed and constantly on the bestseller list. Says a lot about the aspirations.

Posting this on a US forum would have been a non issue - we would have talked about the question at hand and not this other b****hit. Let me ask you this - how do you broach aircraft ownership in England in the "right" way? And how do you convey that even if you're not well off, you can fly and own an aircraft? The right way. If someone'd worked at McDonalds and earned £15K a year and still managed to own a piece of wood and rag with a fan (which is entirely doable) - what would people have called him?

I can tell you what I'd call him - a hero and an inspiration.

PS. Is there an equivalent to the EAA's Young Eagles program in the UK? Where kids of lesser means get the opportunity to fly and get in contact with aviation.

Last edited by AdamFrisch; 27th Jul 2011 at 21:53.