PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Decision to axe Harrier is "bonkers".
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2011, 21:25
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not-a-Boffin
Wise words as usual and I guess I just want what is best for our service personnel no matter what colour their uniform.

I am venting my frustrations at the ridiculous, inept, incompetent **** spineless attitude of politicians that put career before country. What is best for 'me' as opposed for what is best for Great Britain.

I am now in rant mode!!

Six months ago our politicians MUST have known it was highly probable we would be better served if we had a carrier on station in the Mediterranean in the ensuing months? (question)

Was our involvement in this latest conflict against Libya something that was unexpected, I think not??? (question)

In February of this year the United Nations passed a strongly worded resolution that included these actual words

to establish a ban on all flights in the airspace of the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya in order to help protect civilians
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya = posh name for Libya

These resolutions are not wrote on the back of a fag packet.. They take time to draw up and no doubt politicians are advised!!!

Where were the UK aircraft coming from to impose this resolution? RAF Marham?? (All but a 4000 mile round trip)

During these early discussions the Royal Navy had the capability to provide a platform for our brave RN and RAF pilots to operate from and having an airfield just FIFTY. MILES off the coast of Libya is surely a much better option than what we started with and even what we now have?

So yes now we are in late July it is possibly too late, but when this was being discussed in late 2010 was it then too late? I say late 2010 as I am of the opinion that there would be much discussion and planning prior to the passing of that resolution.

Are we seriously going to pretend HMS Ocean was always going to deploy with those Apache helicopters because of the previously planned exercise??

If I am told this was indeed a pure coincidence then I will very respectfully ask how many times prior to this 'exercise' has the Apache deployed on a Royal Navy ship? I stand to be corrected but I will suggest this was the first time.

Deep breaths... calming down.

The Ark is DEFINITELY finished and I fear you are also correct regarding the harrier. I have had my rant, wasted my breath, had a smile and hopefully folks will now shoot me down in a pile of manure

The Ark is dead, Long live the new Ark!

Equipping both Royal Navy and Royal Air Force with the F-35C is to me a no brainer type decision and I will never understand the reasoning for the two different types!!

More bang for the buck and far more flexibility in the usage.