PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2011, 20:12
Neptunus Rex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bearfoil

Your input on this subject has been prodigious, however, on your last, I have to disagree. They did very little 'by the book.' Inter alia:

On seeing the UAS prompt, the SOP is to set the pitch attitude to 5 degrees nose up, then consult the QRH for the appropriate pitch and N1 settings for weight and Flight Level. Why the much larger pitch-up and subsequent climb, with its associated loss of energy?

Had they recognised that the aircraft was stalled, the PF should have maintained nose down input on the sidestick, augmented by manual pitch trim.

There was at least one simultaneous sidestick input, which gives the algebraic sum of both inputs, and is completely forbidden. The correct procedure is to announce "I have control" and take control by pressing and holding the red pushbutton on the sidestick.

This is the most perplexing accident I can recall. There seems to have been much confusion over what information was being presented to the crew, versus what was reliable. Let us hope for more answers with the next BEA release.