PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Project Sirius - Divisive or what?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2011, 15:06
Old-Duffer

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
I forgot to mention that a retired AVM had an office at Cranwell and spent an awful lot of time reading 1369s (of fond memory) to pick out the really high flyers from their confidential reports.

What happens when an officer in the Executive stream fails? Does he get pushed into the mainstream?

Will the Executive Stream contain a certain percentage of the Main Stream?

How will the system cope when the guys in the Executive Stream decide that it's not for them anymore and leave/PVR?

In my experience any formal segregation into streams will be divisive. Everybody knows that the desk officers and their bosses know who the stars are and manage their careers accordingly. We also know that there are some who are groomed for stardom and then something happens and they fall by the wayside.

I'm not sure the current system of open reporting is conducive to producing reports of sufficient objectivity and two other points: first, the manning plot never works out as planned and there are spikes and troughs which will thwart (as they always have done) any attempt to be too precise about the numbers game and secondly, are there sufficient jobs to allow the streaming system to work across the current Branch structure because it will certainly cause problems with 'best boy/girl for the job' when you get to top echelons.

Old Duffer