PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2011, 13:44
Linktrained

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hand flying

andianjul

From the responses that I have had, so far, " not if I can avoid it."
Some earlier generation training aircraft had the throttle in the left and stick in the right hand - others had their hands and controls the opposite way round. I do not recall that it was a problem. Some of the transport aircraft had nose wheel steering from the Left seat, others had auto-pilot controls out-board of the Left seat. Whichever pilot whose " leg" this was, would sit in the left seat. Until, in the UK in the mid sixties, we became "seat-rated". Training Captains and few Senior F/Os, who could act as Second Captains were allowed to sit in either seat, checked on alternate Base Checks. Flying with a very Senior Captain ( non Training) who was operating from the Right hand seat, I asked him if he was Right hand seat qualified. I knew that he was not.
He told me to B#### - Off. ( Should I take offence, NOW ?)

Having had to do my hour at a time hand flying, because the A/P seldom worked on some of the aircraft that I flew in the fifties, I still tended to hand fly to F/L10.0 when not too busy. Approaches were all manual, except for just two in very clear conditions - the aircraft only had a single channel. ( A " Practice Emergency G.C.A.", down to touch-down, whenever practicable would be good for all of us.)