PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2011, 10:26
JD-EE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EMIT, I'd call the two modes of thought for joysticks as "attitude" and "motion".

Traditional sticks in aircraft control attitude. The image in your head could be a model of the aircraft on top of the stick handle. Push is nose down.

Computer "mouse" joysticks think position and translate that diddle stick I mentioned down to a horizontal platform. Push is "go up" as opposed to "pitch down".

I'm still vaguely wondering what it would take to get an even moderately experienced pilot to mentally switch modes of thought from "change the attitude this way" to "Dangitall I'm telling you to go up! Please go up!" I can't see what would do it. It'd be an interesting thing for some college psychology type to study for his thesis, I suspect. I can't shake that image in my head of the pilot pulling the stick to go down rather than pushing it to pitch nose down and being confused further when the plane did the wrong thing. And once a simple mistake is made it's quite natural for people under stress to keep repeating the same mistake over and over thinking they just didn't do it hard enough. ("This time, Rocky, for sure!")