PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JetStar NZ
Thread: JetStar NZ
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2011, 09:00
big buddah

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok thanks,

So the answer to the question would I do it? no.

I don't stand by the argument that just because they are doing it in Europe then it is the way of the future.

When I put my wings on I want to feel proud of my qualification and who I work for. Being a cadet for jetstar wouldn't make me feel proud of who I am and what I do.

$38k in the hand is a huge insult. You won't be able to live in Akl as single man, let alone with a family.
Then being bonded to jetstar for 6 years is signing your self a death warrant. They will move you and the family around at your expense.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that you'll take a shafting for 6 years to start your career, to reap the rewards later on? Who knows what the future holds for aviation?
Peak oil? read about it!
India is in the process of banning expat pilots.
Once Emirates finishes its hiring boom that will be it? for a long time?
Potentially leaving you stuck in the bottom of jetstar?

Don't fool yourself into believing that you can get in and then fight for a better deal later. By then there will be new accountants trying to find new ways to make you cheaper. All they will do is start bringing in those europeans that are paying for their 500hrs line flying that you say is ok and your contract will suddenly be terminated.

Don't think that once you get some experience you'll just go overseas and all we be ok! Want happens when your family says they want to stay in a first world country.

I have nothing against forking out cash for an investment, license, rating, endorsement etc but the jetstar cadet scheme is not a good investment it has no guarantees for the future. The return on capital is laughable.

In aviation always think about the now.