PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopters and Superyachts
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2011, 06:26
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Built in 1982 and refitted in 2008, the MY Leight Star owned by Howard Leight, the ear protection manufacturer and both Leight and his son, Howard Leight Jnr, fly helicopters.

On board photos of the MY Leight Star

Howard Leight Jnr with the family Agusta 109A Mk II N711HL

The Leight's also used to own an R44 N7186Z:

The MY Leight Star with 86Z on the helideck

However, 86Z was not to be as the craft was involved in an incident on 22nd August 2010.
An excerpt from the accident report reads:
On August 22, 2010, about 1819 Pacific daylight time, a Robinson R44, N7186Z, made a forced landing in the water at San Diego, California. Point Zero Corporation was operating the helicopter under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 91. The private pilot sustained serious injuries. The helicopter sustained substantial damage from impact forces. The local personal flight was departing from a yacht. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan had been filed.
The pilot reported that the engine lost power at 100 feet above ground level (agl), and he heard a low rotor revolutions per minute (rpm) alarm. He inflated the helicopter’s pontoons prior to water impact. After touchdown, the helicopter rolled onto its side. The pilot extricated himself, and was standing on the wreckage when first responders arrived.

86Z after the indicent