PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JetStar NZ
Thread: JetStar NZ
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2011, 06:00
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LukeST

errrrr ... no. Sorry bro but going down that road just leads to madness and misery and flying school marketing hype.
Ok that quote was slightly tongue in cheek, but having said that I do tend to agree with their forecast. I did a lot of research for a project I was involved in a while back, in the airline training area, and every credible forecast says more or less the same thing: there WILL be a pilot shortage over the next 20 years. Many of the people saying it have nothing to gain by so doing, and you will note that airlines like Air NZ are gearing up to do their own ab initio training. Why do you think they are doing that?

27/09

PhoenixNZ, I've asked this question before but you have chosen not to answer it. Why do you think Jetstar have started this cadet scheme when there is a already a supply of suitable pilots to sit in the right hand seat?
They are learning the lessons of history. When this sort of expansion happened in Europe, experienced F/Os moved on to better gigs extremely quickly and this left the airlines exposed. Having a large pool of pilots that you can reasonably expect to be around for five years or so, brings a lot of stability to the pilot workforce. Not to mention that it gives you a large pool of command prospects.

Sumtingwong

Agreed, where we part dramatically in view is; This upcoming shortage is precisely why the likes of Jetstar are frantically trying to lower T+C's and then to LOCK the victim into these T+C's.
Interesting then, that the first and by far the most successful low-cost carrier, Southwest Airlines, learned long ago that bleeding their pilots doesn't work, and that a happy, engaged workforce is what makes their company money. That's why their pilots are extremely well paid, complete with profit share, and most own a chunk of the company they work for. This is the road the other low-cost carriers will have to tread if they want to be successful. I'm pretty sure that Jetstar aren't blind to that.

I love that you think that Jetstar's only purpose in life is to shaft cadets, and then keep on shafting them in some Orwellian plot to subjugate them. Might make a fun movie, but it isn't real life.

Di Vosh

What this really translates to is that you're about to go on a career path that will have you flying jets while living in a hole, eating 2min noodles and scrounging around the Flight Attendants stations on turnarounds looking for extra food.
And what is the alternative? Flying crappy old geriatric GA aircraft while living in a hole, eating 2min noodles and scrounging around the aero club skip looking for extra food. Hmmm I know which I'd choose!

HomeJames

Fantastic how you attempt to use the 'what's best for my family line' in an attempt to justify your self serving position.
Yeah, right. And before you embarked on your flying career, you carefully assessed the impact of your ambition on those ahead of you in their careers? Thought hard about how your career choice may affect more senior pilots? Mulled over how your choices might affect the families of other flight crew?

No, you didn't. You are just as self-serving as the guy you are criticising. Just like virtually every other pilot here.

theheadmaster

I recall talking to colleagues 15 years ago stating that the 'cadet' courses of the day would lead to this.
Yeah and I recall being told in school that we were headed for a global ice age...

They were fought for and won by people who were willing to stand up for themselves.
Ah yes please remind us all how it went in '89...

how can you be confident that you can get a higher paying job after a few years? Like I said earlier, project this trend forward a few more steps and you will see that the big expat airlines are only going to pay just enough to temp pilots to their shores.
It's simple. Experience is worth money. Good experience and no incidents is worth a lot of money. Have a look at the Emirates payscales. Many of their recruits have about the experience Phoenix will have in 5 years. Yes, the big expat airlines... well, ALL airlines actually... are only going to pay what they have to. However, the trend is currently pretty healthy. If we do see an appreciable shortage develop - and it has several times in the last 30 years - the trend will climb sharply. Your model doesn't work because it is essentially terminally pessimistic, which is not where the industry is going.

craka

they have plenty of FOs with the company time and 1000's of hours on heavy jets that would meet command requirements yet they seem to be advertising for DECs why?
Probably so that they can get rid of them again when they have upgraded some F/Os, or because they predict a short-term Captain shortage. Either that, or all their F/O's are crap!

Flt.Lt Zed

PHOENIX. In 18 months,assuming you pass all your exams,checks,medicals etc you may well be in Auckland flying the Jet, earning 64k less 20k loan repayment. How will you support a wife and 2 kids given the cost of accommodation and living there for the next 6 years [until loans repayed]. Youll be ok, dont think the wife will be impressed. wont be too many zoo trips.
And what would he be earning as an instructor or GA pilot? Probably less, with no prospects at all.