PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AIPA V QF Jetconnect
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2011, 05:56
Groaner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ansett NZ had to get divested by Ansett Airlines because Ansett was being taken over by AirNZ, which would therefore have had a domestic monopoly. TPA bought it and ran it as an Ansett-Airlines franchised operation (i.e. it used the Ansett logo/colour scheme etc). Running 146s and Dash-8s if I recall correctly.

TPA then rebranded as a Qantas franchise (maybe they saw the Ansett writing on the wall, more likely they felt that the Ansett brand would be associated with AirNZ).

TPA then collapsed soon after at around the time Ansett Airlines collapsed (there was a lot going on, so I don't recall the exact timing). It was a completely different airline to Jetconnect and nothing to do with it.

Air NZ was looking a bit shaky at the time (you might recall it soon needed a nationalisation/bailout). Qantas wanted to maintain an operation domestic-NZ routes, but was trying to make hay by claiming market share off the ruins of the Ansett collapse in Oz. They therefore had a capacity shortage (one of the few airlines needing aircraft at that post-Sept-11 time), and little inclination to go through the AOC hoops etc as they were well and truly distracted.

AWAS had plenty of aircraft (I recall 2 of the initial 3 and maybe the fourth 737CG came from Brazil). And they had a wet-lease capability. AWAS set up the Jetconnect operation (via a wholly-owned subsidiary company - name similar to "Australian Wet-Leasing Operations Pty Ltd" or thereabouts - I'm sure you can search for it). I recall cabin-crew were provided by QF (possibly contract), maybe some tech crew seconded, but it was an AWAS operation from the start. Try and find the AOC and track the aircraft regos/serial numbers and you'll verify this.

Fast-forward a year or so and AWAS wanted to shut down their wet-leasing operation (the 2 x 767 operation had finished its contract by then), the wet-leases were converted to dry and extended, AWAS packed its bags and went home. I think the AOC holding company was sold (possibly to the Jetconnect shelf company) for a few dollars.

I was sort-of involved with a fair bit of this, so I think I know. Were you Trent 972? I'm not trying to pick a fight, just give a little background.

Of course, Qantas then saw other opportunities for Jetconnect, taking advantage of the more-flexible NZ regs to start trans-Tasman routes etc.