PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JetStar NZ
Thread: JetStar NZ
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2011, 03:47
PhoenixNZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PHOENIX. In 18 months,assuming you pass all your exams,checks,medicals etc you may well be in Auckland flying the Jet, earning 64k less 20k loan repayment. How will you support a wife and 2 kids given the cost of accommodation and living there for the next 6 years [until loans repayed]. Youll be ok, dont think the wife will be impressed. wont be too many zoo trips.
Given that its a 61k loan paid off over six years I think your math may be a little off there =)

In saying this how is it any different to taking a GA job for 30k or 40k a year? Same net pay at the end but the GA job doesn't see me getting time in an A320. Not to mention its entirely possible that I'd still have to pay my own type rating which I'd have to do through a personal loan generating 15% interest P/A (if I'm lucky to get that sort of rate).

Regarding staying on the same contract/pay. Yes, if I continue with Jetstar after six years its entirely possible nothing would change. But I'm again confident in my own abilities that either Jetstar would be willing to put me on a standard contract to keep my services or to otherwise find another job for either equal or better pay with better advancement opportunities.

It all comes down to how much you believe in yourself that you can get where you want to go. I have complete faith that I can get into a job doing and paying what I want. It wont be easy by any means but I know I'll get there in the end.