PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MDA
Thread: MDA
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2011, 00:55
FlightPathOBN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand the issues completely, and may have designed many of the procedures you may be using.

As noted, even if the AWOSG is convinced using the MDA without a momentary descent is okay....
Unfortunately, the criteria and procedure design parameters do not support this. (if there is an event, good luck, as I am sure that when your operation decided to use the MDA as a DA, you did a re-evaluation of the terrain and obstacles to support this decision)
Precision and non-precision approaches have a base terrain and obstacle evaluation, that assume the controlling obstacle, add the ROC, and that is how the MDA is calculated, but what you fail to realize, is that the areas that are evaluated are very small considering the procedures.

note the area of analysis for the missed on this approach...

I look at it this way...the minimums are the bare minimum to where the procedure would be illegal...
if I designed the procedure that didnt meet the minimums, it would be illegal per the criteria, and not approved...
would you want the procedures designed to not meet the minimums? they are after all MINIMUMS...one can always be more than the minimum...but less?

So basically, you are stating that you just dont care what the basis for that MDA was, you feel that you can drive below that altitude at your leisure.

There are many places in the world where I would NOT suggest trying this.