PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instrument Flying:How to "Stay ahead of the aircraft" suggestions?
Old 26th Jul 2011, 23:16
737-fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instrument Flying:How to "Stay ahead of the aircraft" suggestions?

Hi guys,

I'm currently half way through my IR. I have moved onto the routes mainly on the sim and practiced one of them for the first time in the aircraft today. I am just wondering if any of you have any tips of suggestions on keeping on top of everything that needs to be done in the aircraft, and sustaining a managed workcycle. I have been told that you must really be "one step ahead of the aircraft", however improvement by memorising procedures and practicing them in the sim isn't coming fast enough.Especially in the aircraft. This includes items such as:
- Speaking to ATC, Ensuring the correct nav aids ar set up, keeping out of restricted airspaces, changing from QNH-1013-QNH again, maintaing a fuel log, getting ATIS's etc.
Can anyone expand on the tip "keeping one step ahead of the aircraft". I understand that as with most aviation training e.g. VFR navigation, things tend to "just click" after a while, but if anything can be done to help along the way, then that would be extremley useful
Many thanks

PS. I am doing the IR in a DA42 with a G1000 which i'm slowly getting use to as well and have been told that this is an invaluable tool!