PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JetStar NZ
Thread: JetStar NZ
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2011, 22:28
27/09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PhoenixNZ
I believe the starting rate for a JQ cadet is actually around $64k, not $40k. This is also a STARTING rate and not the same as what you could be expected to earn over the entire course of your career.
Unless there have been major changes to orginal Jetstar cadet deal that was being discussed the salary was indeed about 60K NZD BUT with Jetstar taking repayments out of the salary for some of the training they had helped fund. This made the actual salary paid about 40K NZD possibly less, I saw figures of 24K AUD equivalent being bandied about. Plus you could expect to live in cities like Darwin where the cost of living is quite high and still be able to service the debt on the loan you had from your training. This salary was to continue for the duration of the 6 year bonding period with no guarantee of employment after that 6 year period. Tell me at the end of 6 years that it was such a smart deal.

Pilot demand is on the rise and the amount that any driver gets paid is based on the oldest economic model of all: Supply and Demand.
Very true. That's why cadets get shafted so easily, there's a bountiful supply of hopefuls prepared to spend a bucket load of their money or their parents money or most likely borrowed money to get a job flying a shiny jet. As I mentioned previously in Europe now it's gone way past paying for type ratings, (something that was almost unheard of many years ago) to cadets paying for "500 hours line training". How long before we see that sort of thing here?

Give me a break, 500 hours line training!!!!!!!!! FFS if some new pilot needs 500 hours line training they should be looking for another career. This is purely and simply a way for greedy unscrupulous airline mangers to reduce their costs and increase their profits. The Jetstar cadet scheme is just another money making venture to ensure a steady supply of pilots so that there is no need to pay a worthwhile salary.

PhoenixNZ, I've asked this question before but you have chosen not to answer it. Why do you think Jetstar have started this cadet scheme when there is a already a supply of suitable pilots to sit in the right hand seat?