PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2011, 14:40
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi gums;

IIRC, Tubby Linton provided a set of AoA graphs two or three threads ago, (now ancient history, at this pace!), repeated below, which show quite clearly, the effects of Mach, and of slats/flaps at lower speeds.

I had a long and very productive discussion with HN39 in the third thread earlier this year on "stall AoA". Davies discusses AoA's of 15deg and very early (Private Licence time in the '60's), I was left with the impression that "the" stall angle for transport aircraft was "15deg" (or so), altitude and Mach not considered; of course, this is not so but I never encountered a correction to that impression in my career...high altitude stalls were simply never done and never discussed, I think, with legitimate reason given limited sim time and expanding items to cover over the decades.

One can see the effects of extended slats and flaps and the AoA's are in accord with Davies' "approach case". IIRC he doesn't discuss high altitude stall in detail, even in his section on "jet upset". With increased Mach, I learned that the stall AoA reduces substantially - in the neighbourhood 4deg, not 15!, etc, as can be calculated from the tables below which are employed by the A330 FWC [Flight Warning Computer] to trigger the Stall Warning in other than Normal Law. In Normal Law, the Stall Warning will trigger, but only at an AoA > 23deg, as described in the chart.

HN39, it was indeed Davies who said, "...choose any other alternative...", etc.

PJ2

Last edited by PJ2; 26th Jul 2011 at 14:53.