PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Questions for Scottich ATC
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2002, 23:23
dick badcock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions for Scottich ATC

Hi there. I am a pilot (and I dared to venture into the ATC forum!), I fly in and out of Scotland several times a week and have a few questions for you Scottish ATC guys and girls. PS! I am sure these questions have been asked before, but being a lazy pilot I just couldn't be bothered to search back through the history.

1. Why are we always asked to 'Squawk Ident' right after departure (this goes for handovers from Dublin and Belfast as well) Is the reason that there are so many airports in close proximity to each other?

2. Is it true that Scottish ATC workers work longer shifts at the screens (is it 2 hours at a time?) than other ATC controllers in the UK?

3. What is the reason for the 260 or below height restriction at MARGO and NEW? Is it because 129.22 or 134.77 are upper areas and we are to be handed off to 126.3 before entering a new upper area? Not a problem at night of course!

4. The speed limit points leading into Glasgow are far out and are passed at altitudes considerably higher than FL100. I have actually never reduced speed at these points as we are always told to maintain high speed, but would like to know what is the significance of these if they are never used? Especially since the charts also say that max speed below FL100 is 250.

5. Why is it that the audio quality from most Scottish frequencies is different (ie you sound like you are sitting in a tiny box!) from most other ATC centers? Someone once told me that the equipment you use (mikes) is from the second world war, although I took that as a joke!

Finally, my hat goes off to all of you; in my short experience (2 years) as a pilot flying the scottish skies, I have had nothing but excellent service from all.

DB