PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Job Ads discouraging applications
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2011, 11:34
b_sta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aviation employers need to wake up and smell the coffee most other industries would loved to be in your HR situation.

Aviation companies get people who are fully licensed, experienced, willing to relocate for free and for sub par salaries and yet they are still complaining.

I have flown a few management types in the past from various industries who had categorically stated that certain aviation owners need to get a grip on reality when it comes to HR.
This couldn't be more true, and I'm certain that those here who've worked in other industries are well aware of it, too. It never ceases to amaze me how aviation employers seem to buck the acceptable standard for every other industry. No wonder there's such a consistently unprofessional approach towards job applications in aviation; what do you expect when the employers themselves are unprofessional? In between chastising applicants based on the fact that submitted a formal application with a CV and cover letter rather than spending money sitting on a commercial flight to see you, with no guarantee of any result whatsoever (reeks of self-importance and narcissism on the employer's part), to expecting new staff to bend over backwards and break (or walk a fine line on) rules and regulations, to requesting absolutely arbitrary experience minima and employing scare tactics to ward off those who might dare to apply on the off chance they might obtain some return on investment on their $100000, give or take - you'd think employers would be more appreciative of the wonderful situation they almost consistently find themselves in. Here's a wake up call - in many other industries it's often an employee's market, with jobseekers dictating salaries, role scope, working environment and so forth, and employers offering what little they can just to keep positions filled.